At today's Germantown campus luncheon, I'll be asking our children's ministry servants to sign the following covenant. This is what we ask our SojournKids workers to commit. Children's Ministry Servant Covenant, December 2009:
This covenant is an agreement of faithfulness between the children’s ministry of Sojourn Community Church (SojournKids) and the children’s ministry servant. SojournKids does not consider the children’s servant to be a volunteer or lay-person. SojournKids is seeking men and women who have a driving ambition and a confirmed gifting to nurture and teach children—nursery, toddlers, preschool, and elementary—to trust in and whole-heartedly follow Jesus Christ.
SojournKids recognizes that God has built his church community as a covenant Family with Christ as its foundation (1 Peter 2:4-12). Children’s ministry occurs within the context of a larger covenant community where God has commanded parents to teach their children about God’s words and works (Psalm 78: 5-7). Our children’s ministry is a catalyst for Christian families having gospel conversations together, and it provides the community context for nurturing and teaching children no matter their individual family background. If you believe it is God's desire for you to serve children, it is our desire that you pursue this ambition by using your gifts in SojournKids (1 Peter 4:10). Upon signing this covenant the children’s servant agrees to the following items for accountability:
1. As a Servant, I will give my time, talent, and ability sacrificially.
- I will faithfully serve at every SojournKids ministry class where I am scheduled, and I will send an equipped Sojourn member when I must be away. (Weekly and monthly commitments run for a six-month time period--currently through February 2010).
- I will arrive 45 minutes before my ministry begins.
- I will not be alone with a child. I will always stay in public areas of the Sojourn building with children and only enter the restroom with a child when another ministry servant is present.
- I will leave the classroom in which I serve better than I found it—recognizing that other ministry servants will be using this classroom after I leave.
2. As a Learner, I will seek discover and develop my gifts and abilities as a children’s servant.
- I will attend at least 2 training sessions during each commitment cycle. The sessions will usually be Sunday afternoon luncheons or one-day events in the local Louisville area.
- I will study any and all assigned lessons before I arrive for my ministry assignment.
3. As a Worshiper, I will remember that Jesus is present when I serve.
- I will meet to pray with other servants at the beginning of each service, and I will serve with an attitude of prayer.
- I will talk about Jesus while at play, because gospel life is more than just the lessons.
4. As a Missionary, I will plainly demonstrate the gospel to children and families at every opportunity.
- I will teach children God’s promises and plainly speak about their need to repent from sin and trust Christ (Acts 2:38-39).
- I will greet Sojourn families and visiting families with biblical hospitality, and I will celebrate when families come back
By signing this form you agree to the above requirements so that SojournKids can fulfill its calling to nurture and teach the children whom God has given us.