- Read Exodus 32:1-8 together
- Have you ever broken anything and didn't want to tell your parents? How did you feel while trying to keep a secret? How did you feel after they found out?
- In this story, the people made a golden calf to worship instead of God. If we would've been there, how would our golden idols be shaped??
- Invite a child to pray, then conclude by asking God to save us from the idols we create a love more than him.
Family Devotions at Home
- Read Exodus 32:1-35; 34:1-9 together.
- Hold a quarter in your hand and explain that you want everyone to take turns flipping it so it lands on the floor showing both heads and tails face-up at the same time.
- How can God be so forgiving but also NOT clear the guilty? That seems as impossible as a coin be heads and tails at once.
- Parents: Explain to your kids that the answer is found in Jesus at the cross, where God forgave us by punishing Jesus for our sin.
- Confess your sin together and thank God for forgiving us.