Applying God’s Word with your Kids in your Community Group
Read 1 John 2:15
- What kinds of things does God want us to do? Obey our parents, love our brothers and sisters, share.
- How many of you do those things all of the time? No one.
- Explain: This verse tells us that is because the bad things in our heart "the bad things we love to do" are stronger than the good things in our head "good things I know to do."
- Do you know how God wants to rescue you from the sin in your heart? He wants to give you a new heart--one that loves Jesus more than we love ourselves.
Invite a child to pray and ask God to give us new hearts.
Family Devotions at Home
Read Ephesians 4:22-24
- Have you ever had a time that you wanted to change your mind but you couldn't?
- Parents: Tell your kids about a time you weren’t excited about doing something, but overcoming love changed your mind. For example, you could tell about a time when you didn’t want to go out with your kids, but because you love your kids (or because you really love ice cream—hint, hint), you decided you would go get ice cream with them.
Holy Spirit, change our hearts when we do wrong and give us an overcoming love for you.