Below are some devotional helps to use throughout the week. We'd love for you to use some or even all of these to review this week's story with your kids.
Dinner Time (Deep Dive)
READ the story together. (Romans 12:1-18; 1 Corinthians 1:9; Philippians 1:3-7)
ASK some questions about the story.
- Who were the main characters? (Paul and the Church)
- What are the main story beats? (Paul explains the marks of a true Christian; Paul describes the fellowship we have with Christ; Paul explains that God brings all things to completion.)
- What’s the main point? (God wants us to show friendship and love to one another.)
CONNECT it to the family.
God gives us a transformed mind through Christ. We have fellowship with Christ meaning we have a relationship with Christ like you have a relationship with Mom and Dad and your siblings. Even when things go badly God gives us grace.
God, we thank you for your word and we thank you for the work of Paul. We thank you for giving us a transformed and renewed mind. Amen.
Drive Time (Quick Refresh)
ASK what story we’ve been studying this week. (A Transformed Mind)
- See what they remember from the story – details, main points, any take away they have, etc.
REMIND them of the main point.
- God wants us to show friendship and love to one another.
Bedtime (Soul Work)
ASK how they feel about what we’ve been learning about this week.
- Do you love others the way God loves you?
- What can you do to love like that?
ENCOURAGE them about the truth of God’s promise.
God has called us to show the same love to others that he showed us.
RELATE to them.
- Mom and Dad have been given a renewed mind through Christ.
- We are called to love others the way God loves us.
- It’s God’s grace that helps us when we don’t do that.
PRAY for them before they go to sleep.
Breakfast Time (Daily Encouragement)
ENCOURAGE them to trust God’s promise today.
- At school as they’re working, playing, talking with friends, etc.
- They are called to show friendship and love one another.
PRAY for them before you drop them off to start their day.
REVIEW one of these doctrine memory questions, or the month’s memory verse by having your kids repeat it after you.
Gospel Project Big Picture Question: Who changes us? The Holy Spirit changes us to be like Jesus for God’s glory.
Memory Verse: 2 Corinthians 5:17 – “Therefore, if anyone is in Christ, the new creation has come: The old has gone, the new is here!”
Additional resources can be found in the Gospel Project for Kids app under Unit 33 - Session 2