Below are some devotional helps to use throughout the week. We'd love for you to use some or even all of these to review this week's story with your kids.
Dinner Time (Deep Dive)
READ the story together. (Romans 8:12-39)
ASK some questions about the story.
- Who were the main characters? (Paul and the Church)
- What are the main story beats? (We have been adopted as heirs with Christ; the Holy Spirit is preparing us for future glory; God is always for us.)
- What’s the main point? (When we trust in Jesus, God gives us the Holy Spirit and makes us His children.)
CONNECT it to the family.
Just like you are our son/daughter. We are all children of God if we trust in Jesus. God loved us enough to send his son to die on a cross for our sin. As your Mom and Dad we are called to love you in a manner similar to God. Sometimes we fall short and we make mistakes, but God gives us grace.
God, we thank you for your word. We thank you for the message and the work of Paul. We pray that we can be reminded that we are your children and that you give us the Holy Spirit. Amen.
Drive Time (Quick Refresh)
ASK what story we’ve been studying this week. ( Children of God )
- See what they remember from the story – details, main points, any take away they have, etc.
REMIND them of the main point.
When we trust in Jesus, God gives us the Holy Spirit and makes us His children.
Bedtime (Soul Work)
ASK how they feel about what we’ve been learning about this week.
- Do you consider yourself a child of God?
- What do you think would make you a child of God?
ENCOURAGE them about the truth of God’s promise.
God has given us his Holy Spirit and makes us his children.
RELATE to them.
- God gives Mom and Dad his Holy Spirit and are called his children.
- God loves all his creation.
- God is always for us.
PRAY for them before they go to sleep.
Breakfast Time (Daily Encouragement)
ENCOURAGE them to trust God’s promise today.
- At school as they’re working, playing, talking with friends, etc.
- They are children of God if they trust in Jesus.
PRAY for them before you drop them off to start their day.
REVIEW one of these doctrine memory questions, or the month’s memory verse by having your kids repeat it after you.
Gospel Project Big Picture Question: Who changes us? The Holy Spirit changes us to be like Jesus for God’s glory.
Memory Verse: 2 Corinthians 5:17 – “Therefore, if anyone is in Christ, the new creation has come: The old has gone, the new is here!”
Additional resources can be found in the Gospel Project for Kids app under Unit 33 - Session 1