Below are some devotional helps to use throughout the week. We'd love for you to use some or even all of these to review this week's story with your kids.
Dinner Time (Deep Dive)
READ the story together. (Matthew 26:36-28:10; John 18:1-20:18)
ASK some questions about the story.
- Who were the main characters? (Jesus, Disciples, etc.)
- What are the main story beats? (Jesus is betrayed; Jesus is abused; Jesus is crucified; and Jesus is resurrected from the dead.)
- What’s the main point? (Jesus died on the cross to save people from sin, and He is alive.)
CONNECT it to the family.
Jesus died on the cross for you and me. Mom and Dad were born sinners just like you are. There is nothing we can do to get to heaven. Jesus dying on a cross allows us to spend eternity in heaven with God when we die. The only way we can be saved from sin is by putting our faith in Christ and his work done on the cross.
God, we thank you for the cross. We thank you for Jesus. We pray that we can be focused on Christ in this Easter season. Amen.
Drive Time (Quick Refresh)
ASK what story we’ve been studying this week. (Jesus’ Crucifixion and Resurrection)
- See what they remember from the story – details, main points, any take away they have, etc.
REMIND them of the main point.
- Jesus died on the cross to save people from sin, and He is alive.
Bedtime (Soul Work)
ASK how they feel about what we’ve been learning about this week.
- What are your thoughts on Jesus’ Crucifixion and Resurrection?
- How do you feel about your sin?
ENCOURAGE them about the truth of God’s promise (Christ died on the cross for you and me.)
RELATE to them.
- Mom and Dad were born sinners just like you.
- There is nothing we can do to get to heaven.
- It’s Jesus’ work done on the cross that gives us eternal life.
PRAY for them before they go to sleep.
Breakfast Time (Daily Encouragement)
ENCOURAGE them to trust God’s promise today at school as they’re working, playing, talking with friends, etc. Christ died on the cross for them because he loves them.
PRAY for them before you drop them off to start their day.
REVIEW one of these doctrine memory questions, or the month’s memory verse by having your kids repeat it after you.
Gospel Project Big Picture Question: Who saves us from our sin? Only Jesus saves us from sin.
Memory Verse: We know that Christ, being raised from the dead, will never die again; death no longer has dominion over him. Romans 6:9
Additional resources can be found in the Gospel Project for Kids app under Unit 32 - Session 2