Below are some devotional helps to use throughout the week. We'd love for you to use some or even all of these to review this week's story with your kids.
Dinner Time (Deep Dive)
READ the story together. ( 1 John 3:10-18 )
ASK some questions about the story.
- Who were the main characters? (John, The Church, Cain and Us)
- What are the main story beats? (John reminds us to love one another; John uses the narrative of Cain and Abel; John reminds us of the only true example of love, Jesus.)
- What’s the main point? (John called us to love one another.)
CONNECT it to the family.
John was reminding the church to love one another. We are called to do the same as the church. Mom and Dad are called to love you, your siblings, and each other. Sometimes Mom and Dad get frustrated and we mess up. The good news is that God gives us grace even when we don’t love like we should. We can be reminded just as the Church was reminded in this week’s lesson.
God, we thank you for your word and we thank you for the message in 1 John. We pray that we can be reminded to love like you loved us. Amen.
Drive Time (Quick Refresh)
ASK what story we’ve been studying this week. (Love One Another)
- See what they remember from the story – details, main points, any take away they have, etc.
REMIND them of the main point.
John wrote that others will know we are Christians because we love one another.
Bedtime (Soul Work)
ASK how they feel about what we’ve been learning about this week.
- Do you think others know you are a Christian by your love?
- What can you do to make sure that they do?)
ENCOURAGE them about the truth of God’s promise.
- God has called us to show the same love that he showed us.
RELATE to them.
- Mom and Dad are called to love one another as Christ has loved us.
- God gives us all grace.
- It’s God’s grace that helps us treat everyone equally.
PRAY for them before they go to sleep.
Breakfast Time (Daily Encouragement)
ENCOURAGE them to trust God’s promise today.
- At school as they’re working, playing, talking with friends, etc.
- They are called to love all their friends equally.
PRAY for them before you drop them off to start their day.
REVIEW one of these doctrine memory questions, or the month’s memory verse by having your kids repeat it after you.
Gospel Project Big Picture Question: Why does God want us to obey Him? Obedience is our response to God's love for us.
Memory Verse: I have been crucified with Christ and I no longer live, but Christ lives in me. The life I now live in the body, I live by faith in the Son of God, who loved me and gave himself for me. Galatians 2:20
Additional resources can be found in the Gospel Project for Kids app under Unit 31 - Session 4