Below are some devotional helps to use throughout the week. We'd love for you to use some or even all of these to review this week's story with your kids.
Dinner Time (Deep Dive)
READ the story together. (2 Corinthians 8:1-15; 9:6-15)
ASK some questions about the story.
- Who were the characters? (Paul and the Church.)
- What are the main story beats? (Paul shares the generosity of the churches in Macedonia; Paul urges those who are able to give generously; Paul explains what being a cheerful giver is.)
- What’s the main point? (God is generous, so we can be generous to others.)
CONNECT it to the family.
Because God is so generous to our family we are called to be generous to others. Whether we have much or little we are called to be generous like God is generous. We have been given the greatest gift of all time, a savior. We can never repay that gift, but God has called us to be generous.
God, we thank you for being generous to us despite our sin. Thank you for sending your son to die for our sins. We pray that we can be generous like you were generous. Amen.
Drive Time (Quick Refresh)
ASK what story we’ve been studying this week. (A Cheerful Giver)
- See what they remember from the story – details, main points, any take away they have, etc.
REMIND them of the main point.
God is generous, so we can be generous to others.
Bedtime (Soul Work)
ASK how they feel about what we’ve been learning about this week.
- Do you think God has blessed us as a family?
- Do you think we can be more generous to others?
- What ways can we be more generous?
ENCOURAGE them about the truth of God’s promise.
Because God is generous to us, we can be generous to others.
RELATE to them.
- Mom and Dad have seen the generosity of God.
- He constantly provides for us.
- Because of what God does we feel a need to be generous to others.
- God desires for you to be generous.
PRAY for them before they go to sleep.
Breakfast Time (Daily Encouragement)
ENCOURAGE them to trust God’s promise today.
- At school as they’re working, playing, talking with friends, etc.
- Because God is generous, we are called to be generous.
PRAY for them before you drop them off to start their day.
REVIEW one of these doctrine memory questions, or the month’s memory verse by having your kids repeat it after you.
Gospel Project Big Picture Question: Who changes us? The Holy Spirit changes us to be like Jesus for God’s glory.
Memory Verse: 2 Corinthians 5:17 – “Therefore, if anyone is in Christ, the new creation has come: The old has gone, the new is here!”
Additional resources can be found in the Gospel Project for Kids app under Unit 33 - Session 5