Below are some devotional helps to use throughout the week. We'd love for you to use some or even all of these to review this week's story with your kids.
Dinner Time (Deep Dive)
READ the story together. (Hebrews 11:1-12:2)
ASK some questions about the story.
- Who were the characters? (The author and the heroes of the faith. We are unsure of the author of Hebrew)
- What are the main story beats? (The author explains the importance of faith; the author then describes the heroes of the faith; the author gives an encouraging message to run with endurance and keep the faith.)
- What’s the main point? (The Bible tells us about people who lived by faith.)
CONNECT it to the family.
We are encouraged by the many heroes of the faith. God has called each of us to something. We may feel like we are not good enough to accomplish what God is calling us to, but the heroes of the faith described here encourage us to keep the faith and never give up.
God, we thank you for these heroes of the faith. We pray that we can have similar faith. We pray that we would not give up when we feel unworthy. Amen.
Drive Time (Quick Refresh)
ASK what story we’ve been studying this week. (A Cheerful Giver)
- See what they remember from the story – details, main points, any take away they have, etc.
REMIND them of the main point.
The Bible tells us about people who lived by faith.
Bedtime (Soul Work)
ASK how they feel about what we’ve been learning about this week.
- Who is your favorite super hero?
- What makes them great?
- Do you think you have faith like the heroes described in the Bible?
- What can we do to have that kind of faith?
ENCOURAGE them about the truth of God’s promise.
We are called to have faith like the heroes in Hebrews.
RELATE to them.
- Mom and Dad have been called to live a life of faith.
- We are called to show you what that looks like.
- We will fall short, but our faith is what keeps us going.
PRAY for them before they go to sleep.
Breakfast Time (Daily Encouragement)
ENCOURAGE them to trust God’s promise today.
- At school as they’re working, playing, talking with friends, etc.
We are called to live by faith.
PRAY for them before you drop them off to start their day.
REVIEW one of these doctrine memory questions, or the month’s memory verse by having your kids repeat it after you.
Gospel Project Big Picture Question: Who changes us? The Holy Spirit changes us to be like Jesus for God’s glory.
Memory Verse: 2 Corinthians 5:17 – “Therefore, if anyone is in Christ, the new creation has come: The old has gone, the new is here!”
Additional resources can be found in the Gospel Project for Kids app under Unit 33 - Session 6