Below are some devotional helps to use throughout the week. We'd love for you to use some or even all of these to review this week's story with your kids.
Dinner Time (Deep Dive)
READ the story together. (Galatians 5:16-26)
ASK some questions about the story.
- Who were the main characters? (Paul and the Church.)
- What are the main story beats? (Paul urges the church in Galatia to walk by the Spirit; Paul describes the works of the flesh; Paul explains what the fruits of the Spirit are and that we should walk in them.)
- What’s the main point? (The Holy Spirit changes the way we think and act to be more like Jesus.)
CONNECT it to the family.
The Holy Spirit changes us. We were all born sinners. Your mom and dad were sinner and following the works of the flesh, but God showed us grace and changed our lives. We now desire to show you and everyone we come in contact with the fruits of the Spirit. We stumble at times, but God’s grace is never ending.
God, we thank you for your word and we thank you for the work of Paul. We thank you for giving us the Holy Spirit to change and renew us day after day. Help us to walk in the Spirit and avoid the desires of the flesh. Amen.
Drive Time (Quick Refresh)
ASK what story we’ve been studying this week. (The Fruit of the Spirit)
- See what they remember from the story – details, main points, any take away they have, etc.
REMIND them of the main point.
- The Holy Spirit changes the way we think and act to be more like Jesus.
Bedtime (Soul Work)
ASK how they feel about what we’ve been learning about this week.
- Do you feel like you desire the works of the flesh (the sins Paul was talking about)?
- What can you do to walk in the Spirit?
ENCOURAGE them about the truth of God’s promise.
God has given us the Holy Spirit.
RELATE to them.
- Mom and Dad have been given grace through Christ.
- We have been given the Holy Spirit to help change the way we think and act.
- It’s God’s grace that helps us when we don’t do that.
PRAY for them before they go to sleep.
Breakfast Time (Daily Encouragement)
ENCOURAGE them to trust God’s promise today.
- At school as they’re working, playing, talking with friends, etc.
- The Holy Spirit helps to change the way we think to be more like Jesus.
PRAY for them before you drop them off to start their day.
REVIEW one of these doctrine memory questions, or the month’s memory verse by having your kids repeat it after you.
Gospel Project Big Picture Question: Who changes us? The Holy Spirit changes us to be like Jesus for God’s glory.
Memory Verse: 2 Corinthians 5:17 – “Therefore, if anyone is in Christ, the new creation has come: The old has gone, the new is here!”
Additional resources can be found in the Gospel Project for Kids app under Unit 33 - Session 3