Below are some devotional helps to use throughout the week. We'd love for you to use some or even all of these to review this week's story with your kids.
Dinner Time (Deep Dive)
READ the story together. (Acts 24:22-27; 25:1-14; 26:24-32)
ASK some questions about the story.
- Who were the main characters? (Paul and the Officials.)
- What are the main story beats? (Paul is in custody; Paul goes before Caesar; Paul goes before Agrippa.)
- What’s the main point? (Paul preached about Jesus to governors and kings.)
CONNECT it to the family.
We are called to preach the gospel no matter what we are going through. Paul was arrested and yet he still preached about Jesus to every official he went before. We are called to be brave like Paul and share Jesus to all people.
God, we thank you for Paul. We thank you that he showed the courage to preach the gospel to the rulers and officials. Amen.
Drive Time (Quick Refresh)
ASK what story we’ve been studying this week. (Paul before Rulers)
- See what they remember from the story – details, main points, any take away they have, etc.
REMIND them of the main point.
Paul preached about Jesus to governors and kings.
Bedtime (Soul Work)
ASK how they feel about what we’ve been learning about this week.
- Do you think that you are brave?
- What makes you brave?
- Do you want to have courage like Paul?
ENCOURAGE them about the truth of God’s promise.
- We are called to show courage like Paul.
RELATE to them.
- Mom and Dad have been called to be an example of being brave.
- Mom and Dad are called to show you what being brave looks like.
- At times we will fall short, but God will always give us the courage we need.
PRAY for them before they go to sleep.
Breakfast Time (Daily Encouragement)
ENCOURAGE them to trust God’s promise today.
- At school as they’re working, playing, talking with friends, etc.
Remember that God will give you the strength to be brave.
PRAY for them before you drop them off to start their day.
REVIEW one of these doctrine memory questions, or the month’s memory verse by having your kids repeat it after you.
Gospel Project Big Picture Question: When should we tell others about Jesus? We should always tell others about Jesus even when it is difficult.
Memory Verse: Philippians 1:20-21 – “I eagerly expect and hope that I will in no way be ashamed, but will have sufficient courage so that now as always Christ will be exalted in my body, whether by life or by death. For to me, to live is Christ and to die is gain.”
Additional resources can be found in the Gospel Project for Kids app under Unit 34 - Session 2