Below are some devotional helps to use throughout the week. We'd love for you to use some or even all of these to review this week's story with your kids.
Dinner Time (Deep Dive)
READ the story together. (Philippians 1:12-30)
ASK some questions about the story.
- Who were the main characters? (Paul and the Philippian Church)
- What are the main story beats? (Paul talks about the advancement of the gospel; Paul explains that to live is Christ; Paul encourages the church to be joyful.)
- What’s the main point? (While he was in prison, Paul told the Philippian church to be joyful.)
CONNECT it to the family.
Paul remained joyful while in prison. We are called to live with that same joy. Paul told the Philippians to be joyful. Paul faced hard times, but God used him to share the good news about Jesus and to help the church. We will also face hard times, but God will use us.
God, we thank you for the joy that you give us. We thank you for Paul and the example he is to us. We pray that we can have similar joy. Amen.
Drive Time (Quick Refresh)
ASK what story we’ve been studying this week. (Paul’s Joy in Prison)
- See what they remember from the story – details, main points, any take away they have, etc.
REMIND them of the main point.
While he was in prison, Paul told the Philippian church to be joyful.
Bedtime (Soul Work)
ASK how they feel about what we’ve been learning about this week.
- What is joy?
- Would you consider yourself to be joyful?
- Is it always easy to be joyful? Why?
- Where did Paul find his joy?
ENCOURAGE them about the truth of God’s promise.
God is with us during the hard times. He helps us live a life of joy.
RELATE to them.
- We must be reminded that our joy comes from the Lord.
- How can we show joy even when things are hard?
- We will fall short, but God is there to help us.
PRAY for them before they go to sleep.
Breakfast Time (Daily Encouragement)
ENCOURAGE them to trust God’s promise today.
- At school as they’re working, playing, talking with friends, etc.
God uses our lives to bring Him glory.
PRAY for them before you drop them off to start their day.
REVIEW one of these doctrine memory questions, or the month’s memory verse by having your kids repeat it after you.
Gospel Project Big Picture Question: When should we tell others about Jesus? We should always tell others about Jesus even when it is difficult.
Memory Verse: Philippians 1:20-21 – “I eagerly expect and hope that I will in no way be ashamed, but will have sufficient courage so that now as always Christ will be exalted in my body, whether by life or by death. For to me, to live is Christ and to die is gain.”
Additional resources can be found in the Gospel Project for Kids app under Unit 34 - Session 4