Below are some devotional helps to use throughout the week. We'd love for you to use some or even all of these to review this week's story with your kids.
Dinner Time (Deep Dive)
READ the story together. (2 Timothy 3:16-17)
ASK some questions about the story.
- Who were the main characters? (Paul and the Thessalonians)
- What are the main story beats? (The Thessalonians are worried about those who have already passed away; Paul explains that when Christ returns they will be called up as well; Paul challenges them to live in a way that glorifies God.)
- What’s the main point? (Paul encouraged the Thessalonians by reminding them that Jesus will return.)
CONNECT it to the family.
We are called to live life to the fullest and to not worry about when Christ will return. He will return, but we will not know the day are time. We should live our lives in a manner that honors God each and every day.
God, we thank you for sending your Son to die on a cross for our sins. We long for his return. We pray that we will live our lives in a manner to glorify God. Amen.
Drive Time (Quick Refresh)
ASK what story we’ve been studying this week. (Paul Gave Hope)
- See what they remember from the story – details, main points, any take away they have, etc.
REMIND them of the main point.
Paul encouraged the Thessalonians by reminding them that Jesus will return.
Bedtime (Soul Work)
ASK how they feel about what we’ve been learning about this week.
- Do you ever think about when Jesus will return?
- Does it make you worried?
- What did Paul tell the Thessalonians to do?
ENCOURAGE them about the truth of God’s promise.
We are called to live life that daily honors God no matter what lies ahead.
RELATE to them.
- At times we will worry about what tomorrow brings, but God gives us grace when we do and a reassurance that everything is in his hands.
PRAY for them before they go to sleep.
Breakfast Time (Daily Encouragement)
ENCOURAGE them to trust God’s promise today.
- At school as they’re working, playing, talking with friends, etc.
PRAY for them before you drop them off to start their day.
REVIEW one of these doctrine memory questions, or the month’s memory verse by having your kids repeat it after you.
Gospel Project Big Picture Question: How do we live while waiting for Jesus to return? We remember God’s truth, grow in godliness, and spread the gospel.
Memory Verse: 2 Timothy 3:16-17 – “All Scripture is breathed out by God and profitable for teaching, for reproof, for correction, and for training in righteousness, that the man of God may be complete, equipped for every good work.”
Additional resources can be found in the Gospel Project for Kids app under Unit 35 - Session 2