Below are some devotional helps to use throughout the week. We'd love for you to use some or even all of these to review this week's story with your kids.
Dinner Time (Deep Dive)
READ the story together. (2 Peter 3:1-13)
ASK some questions about the story.
- Who were the main characters? (Peter and the Christians he is writing to.)
- What are the main story beats? (Peter tells them scoffers will come; Peter tells them that time for God is different than time for us; Peter tells them that their waiting is where righteousness dwells.)
- What’s the main point? (Peter wrote that Jesus will return soon, so we should obey Him and tell others about Him.)
CONNECT it to the family.
Jesus will one day return. We as a family should obey God’s commands and tell others about him. Our life as a family should point others to Christ.
God, we thank you for sending your son to die on a cross for our sins. We look forward to Jesus’ return. We pray that we can share your love with others as we wait for the return of Christ. Amen.
Drive Time (Quick Refresh)
ASK what story we’ve been studying this week. (While We Wait)
- See what they remember from the story – details, main points, any take away they have, etc.
REMIND them of the main point.
Peter wrote that Jesus will return soon, so we should obey Him and tell others about Him.
Bedtime (Soul Work)
ASK how they feel about what we’ve been learning about this week.
- Do we know when Christ will return?
- Do you feel like you are obeying God’s command?
- Do you feel like you are telling enough people about God?
ENCOURAGE them about the truth of God’s promise.
Christ will return and until he does we should obey Him and tell others about Him.
RELATE to them.
- We must be reminded that Jesus one day will return.
- How can you tell more people about God?
- We will fall short, but God is there to help us.
PRAY for them before they go to sleep.
Breakfast Time (Daily Encouragement)
ENCOURAGE them to trust God’s promise today.
- At school as they’re working, playing, talking with friends, etc.
PRAY for them before you drop them off to start their day.
REVIEW one of these doctrine memory questions, or the month’s memory verse by having your kids repeat it after you.
Gospel Project Big Picture Question: How do we live while waiting for Jesus to return? We remember God’s truth, grow in godliness, and spread the gospel.
Memory Verse: 2 Timothy 3:16-17 – “All Scripture is breathed out by God and profitable for teaching, for reproof, for correction, and for training in righteousness, that the man of God may be complete, equipped for every good work.”
Additional resources can be found in the Gospel Project for Kids app under Unit 35 - Session 4