Below are some devotional helps to use throughout the week. We'd love for you to use some or even all of these to review this week's story with your kids.
Dinner Time (Deep Dive)
READ the story together. (Revelation 2-3)
ASK some questions about the story.
- Who were the main characters? (John and Jesus)
- What are the main story beats? (John gives the specific messages for each church as Jesus gave to him in the vision.)
- What’s the main point? (Jesus told the seven churches to stand strong in the faith.)
CONNECT it to the family.
We need to be encouraged by God just as these seven churches are encouraged. God gives us courage to stand strong when trouble comes. We as a family can support each other and be reminded of that courage.
God, we thank you for your promises. We pray that we can remain strong in the faith. Thank you for loving us. Amen.
Drive Time (Quick Refresh)
ASK what story we’ve been studying this week. (God’s Warning to Seven Churches)
- See what they remember from the story – details, main points, any take away they have, etc.
REMIND them of the main point.
Jesus told the seven churches to stand strong in the faith.
Bedtime (Soul Work)
ASK how they feel about what we’ve been learning about this week.
- How did Jesus correct or warn the churches?
- What encouragement does he give them?
ENCOURAGE them about the truth of God’s promise.
We are called to stand strong in the faith.
RELATE to them.
- Mom and Dad have been called to be an example of how to stand strong in the faith.
- Mom and Dad are called to remind you to do the same.
PRAY for them before they go to sleep.
Breakfast Time (Daily Encouragement)
ENCOURAGE them to trust God’s promise today.
- At school as they’re working, playing, talking with friends, etc.
- Remember that Jesus tells us to stand strong in the faith.
PRAY for them before you drop them off to start their day.
REVIEW one of these doctrine memory questions, or the month’s memory verse by having your kids repeat it after you.
Gospel Project Big Picture Question: What will happen when Jesus returns? Jesus will destroy all evil and make all things new.
Memory Verse: Revelation 21:5 – “And he who was seated on the throne said, “Behold, I am making all things new.” Also he said, “Write this down, for these words are trustworthy and true.”
Additional resources can be found in the Gospel Project for Kids app under Unit 36 - Session 2