Below are some devotional helps to use throughout the week. We'd love for you to use some or even all of these to review this week's story with your kids.
Dinner Time (Deep Dive)
READ the story together. (Revelation 1:9-20)
ASK some questions about the story.
- Who were the main characters? (John and Jesus.)
- What are the main story beats? (John is on the island of Patmos and he hears a voice; John then writes down what he sees; John shares his vision with the seven churches.)
- What’s the main point? (Jesus appeared to John in a vision to tell about the end of time.)
CONNECT it to the family.
We are called to remember John’s vision and be reminded that Jesus will one day return and make all things new. We as a family should remember that and what Jesus has promised us.
God, we thank you for your word. We thank you for the vision that you gave to John. We pray that you will remind us of your return. We love you Lord. Amen.
Drive Time (Quick Refresh)
ASK what story we’ve been studying this week. (John’s Vision of Jesus)
- See what they remember from the story – details, main points, any take away they have, etc.
REMIND them of the main point.
Jesus appeared to John in a vision to tell about the end of time.
Bedtime (Soul Work)
ASK how they feel about what we’ve been learning about this week.
- Do you ever worry about the future?
- What was the vision Jesus gave John?
- What has God promised about his return?
ENCOURAGE them about the truth of God’s promise.
Jesus will return and make all things new.
RELATE to them.
- No matter what happens, Jesus will return and make everything the best it can be.
PRAY for them before they go to sleep.
Breakfast Time (Daily Encouragement)
ENCOURAGE them to trust God’s promise today.
- At school as they’re working, playing, talking with friends, etc.
- We know that Jesus will return and make all things new!
PRAY for them before you drop them off to start their day.
REVIEW one of these doctrine memory questions, or the month’s memory verse by having your kids repeat it after you.
Gospel Project Big Picture Question: What will happen when Jesus returns? Jesus will destroy all evil and make all things new.
Memory Verse: Revelation 21:5 – “And he who was seated on the throne said, “Behold, I am making all things new.” Also he said, “Write this down, for these words are trustworthy and true.”
Additional resources can be found in the Gospel Project for Kids app under Unit 36 - Session 1