Below are some devotional helps to use throughout the week. We'd love for you to use some or even all of these to review this week's story with your kids.
Dinner Time (Deep Dive)
READ the story together. (Genesis 1-2)
ASK some questions about the story.
- Who were the main characters? (God and His creation.)
- What are the big story beats? (God rests on the seventh day; God creates man and woman; Adam names God’s creation.)
- What’s the main point? (God created people in His own image, and He loves us.)
CONNECT it to the family.
- God has created us in his image and provides for everything we need. We are special because God made us to live forever in a relationship with Him.
God, we thank you for who you are. We thank you for creating us to be in relationship with you. Amen.
Drive Time (Quick Refresh)
ASK what story we’ve been studying this week. (God Created People)
- See what they remember from the story – details, main points, any take away they have, etc.
REMIND them of the main point.
God created people in His own image, and He loves us.
Bedtime (Soul Work)
ASK how they feel about what we’ve been learning about this week.
- What does it mean to created in the image of God?
- How does being created in God’s image affect how we treat one another?
- God created us to know and love Him. How can we get to know God if we cannot see Him?
ENCOURAGE them about the truth of God’s promise.
We are created in God’s image and he gives us everything we need.
RELATE to them.
Mom and Dad are created in God’s image and God knows what we need.
PRAY for them before they go to sleep.
Breakfast Time (Daily Encouragement)
ENCOURAGE them to trust God’s promise today.
- At school as they’re working, playing, talking with friends, etc.
- Remember that you are created in God’s image.
PRAY for them before you drop them off to start their day.
REVIEW one of these doctrine memory questions, or the month’s memory verse by having your kids repeat it after you.
Gospel Project Big Picture Question: Who is God? God is our Creator and King.
Memory Verse: Colossians 1:16-17 – “For by him all things were created, in heaven and on earth, visible and invisible, whether thrones or dominions or rulers or authorities-all things were created through him and for him. And he is before all things, and in him all things hold together.”
Additional resources can be found in the Gospel Project for Kids app under Unit 1 - Session 2