Below are some devotional helps to use throughout the week. We'd love for you to use some or even all of these to review this week's story with your kids.
Dinner Time (Deep Dive)
READ the story together. (Genesis 1)
ASK some questions about the story.
- Who was the main character? (God.)
- What are the big story beats? (God takes the formless earth and creates; God creates the main features of earth; God then fills that creation with animals and man.)
- What’s the main point? (God created everything, and everything He created was good.)
CONNECT it to the family.
- We live in a world created by God. We are created in God’s image. As a family, we are called to glorify God as creator and honor him in everything that we do.
- What parts of creation are you most thankful for?
- Take a walk to find something good or beautiful outside.
God, we thank you for who you are. We thank you for creating us in your image. We pray that we can glorify you as your creation in everything we do. Amen.
Drive Time (Quick Refresh)
ASK what story we’ve been studying this week. (God Created the World)
- See what they remember from the story – details, main points, any take away they have, etc.
REMIND them of the main point.
God created everything, and everything He created was good.
Bedtime (Soul Work)
ASK how they feel about what we’ve been learning about this week.
- When God spoke, things happened. What does this tell you about His power?
- What makes something good?
- What are some parts of creation you enjoy?
ENCOURAGE them about the truth of God’s promise.
God created everything, and it was good.
RELATE to them.
- Mom and Dad have been created in God’s image and are called to be an example to you that we are created into God’s image.
PRAY for them before they go to sleep.
Breakfast Time (Daily Encouragement)
ENCOURAGE them to trust God’s promise today.
- At school as they’re working, playing, talking with friends, etc.
- God created everything, and it was good!
PRAY for them before you drop them off to start their day.
REVIEW one of these doctrine memory questions, or the month’s memory verse by having your kids repeat it after you.
Gospel Project Big Picture Question: Who is God? God is our Creator and King.
Memory Verse: Colossians 1:16-17 – “For by him all things were created, in heaven and on earth, visible and invisible, whether thrones or dominions or rulers or authorities-all things were created through him and for him. And he is before all things, and in him all things hold together.”
Additional resources can be found in the Gospel Project for Kids app under Unit 1 - Session 1