Below are some devotional helps to use throughout the week. We'd love for you to use some or even all of these to review this week's story with your kids.
Dinner Time (Deep Dive)
READ the story together. (Acts 27:13-44; 28:11-16)
ASK some questions about the story.
- Who were the characters? (Paul and the Sailors.)
- What are the main story beats? (There is a storm out at sea; God protected Paul in the shipwreck; Paul arrives at Rome.)
- What’s the main point? (God protected Paul in the shipwreck so he could stand before Caesar.)
CONNECT it to the family.
God protected Paul in the shipwreck. Paul told the sailors to trust God too. God wants us to trust Jesus. Jesus died to keep us safe from sin and death. We can share this good news with everyone.
God, we thank you for Paul. We thank you that he stopped at nothing to preach the Gospel of Jesus. No matter how scary and sad his life was, he never stopped sharing the love of God. Amen.
Drive Time (Quick Refresh)
ASK what story we’ve been studying this week. (The Shipwreck)
- See what they remember from the story – details, main points, any take away they have, etc.
REMIND them of the main point.
God protected Paul in the shipwreck so he could stand before Caesar.
Bedtime (Soul Work)
ASK how they feel about what we’ve been learning about this week.
- Do you feel like you could tell others about Jesus even when you are scared? What would make that hard?
- Sometimes our life can feel like a storm, but God wants us to trust Jesus.
ENCOURAGE them about the truth of God’s promise.
God wants us to trust Jesus. He sent Jesus to die for us to keep us safe from sin and death. We are called to share this good news.
RELATE to them.
- God wants us all to tell others about Jesus.
- Mom and Dad are called to set an example for you.
- Where could we go to tell others about Jesus? (park, library, etc.)
PRAY for them before they go to sleep.
Breakfast Time (Daily Encouragement)
ENCOURAGE them to trust God’s promise today.
- At school as they’re working, playing, talking with friends, etc.
Have courage to tell your friends about Jesus.
PRAY for them before you drop them off to start their day.
REVIEW one of these doctrine memory questions, or the month’s memory verse by having your kids repeat it after you.
Gospel Project Big Picture Question: When should we tell others about Jesus? We should always tell others about Jesus even when it is difficult.
Memory Verse: Philippians 1:20-21 – “I eagerly expect and hope that I will in no way be ashamed, but will have sufficient courage so that now as always Christ will be exalted in my body, whether by life or by death. For to me, to live is Christ and to die is gain.”
Additional resources can be found in the Gospel Project for Kids app under Unit 34 - Session 3